Agreements for Inclusive Conversations
(Agreements adapted with permission from the Inclusion Allies Coalition)
- Model respect and inclusion
- Listen and engage to understand, with curiosity and without judgement
- Acknowledge and build on previous speaker(s)
- Be respectful and welcoming of difference (in ideas, styles, and goals)
- Be brief in your comments so that all will have the opportunity to express their view
- Don’t assume agreement or consensus
- Allow others to choose how they respond and communicate
- Race– A group of people identified as distinct from other groups because of supposed physical or genetic traits shared by the group. Most biologists and anthropologists do not recognize race as a biologically valid classification, in part because there is more genetic variation within groups than between them.
- A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the Celtic race.
- Racism– prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.
- Racist– Someone who supports a racist policy through their actions or inactions or express an idea based in racism.
- Antiracist-Someone who supports an antiracist policy through their actions or expresses an idea based in antiracism
(Definitions obtained from dictionary .com and “How to Be an Antiracist” by Ibram X. Kendi)